Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Pimp My Roomba": Designing for Personalization

Comment on Brandon's blog

This study done by JaYoung Sung, Rebecca Grinter and Henrick Christensen was aimed to see if people could be influenced to personalize their roomba and if so, does that have any effect on how they view their roomba. Thirty different households were each given a roomba and half of those recieved a personalization tool kit. Ten of the house holds that recieved a tool kit either ordered skins for the roombas or used stickers and letter sets. However, not everyone who ordered a skin used it.

The people that did decorate their roombas did seem to have a greater personal attachment to it. Some of them had names and were treated almost as a pet would be treated. One participant was quoted as saying that it felt, "more like our Roomba instead of a Roomba." Some of the participants who personalized their roombas felt as though their roomba did a better job. Some of the reasons given for why people did not personalize their roomba were that they didn't have time, didn't see or feel a need or could not find any decorations they like.

I thought it was very interesting just how attached some of the people became to their roombas. I know I'm pretty attached to my iPod and computer. I tend to personify them and act as though they have personalities. For example, when my computer is acting up and not behaving as it should, I say that it is angry or upset with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment